Last month we talked about Rewilding and we discovered how it helps protect biodiversity. Rewilding does this by allowing co-dependent species to live out their full lifecycles symbiotically. This allows ecosystems to thrive which in turn create ‘ecosystem services’ – supplying oxygen, clean air, water filtration, plant pollination, soil formation and pest control.
Biodiversity is the amount of variety of life on Earth. It is the variety of species of plants and animals.
SUPPORTING BIODIVERSITY IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT WAYS WE CAN HELP PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT:
- It allows ecosystems to thrive
- It helps to clean water and air
- It promotes soil formation and protection
- It helps to create larger variety of crops by allowing a larger number of plant species
- It helps protect marine life
- It provides more food resources
- It helps support climate stability
THERE IS MORE WE CAN DO TO SUPPORT BIODIVERSITY:
- Save the bees
- Buy organic
- Support smaller, local farms that support biodiverse agriculture methods
- Save water
- Know the source of what you buy
- Keep it varied – buy a variety of ingredients
- Choose sustainable seafood
- Choose grass-fed, organic meat
- Plant local plants and flowers
- Reduce energy consumption
There are so many more ways but these can get you started!